web statistics

March 26, 2009

My other brother, Darryl


Now I don’t want anyone to get the wrong impression here. Our family is not the type in which cousins marry and their off-spring are born with donkey ears or live in trailers. No. We are perfectly normal (well ok, relatively speaking, pardon bad pun) and there is little evidence of in-breeding. BUT! I have recently discovered that my brother in law and I get on like a house on fire. No, Neen, if you’re reading this, not at ALL in that way. Let me explain. Neen (his wife and my gorgeous and divine sister) is in America on some research thingie for business. She will be away for approximately 10 weeks and in this time, Scott has to cope with 3 (yes THREE) kids pretty much on his own. I (being a model citizen and very, very kind, selfless and saintly – also he gives me free wine) have been doing the good sister in law thing by dropping in over the weekends to make sure the kids are eating their greens and that BIL hasn’t gone totally over the edge. So, this has been going on for about 4 weeks now and to my great delight I discover that he’s like the brother I always wished I had. While I was growing up I yearned for a brother. Now in hindsight I am SO GLAD I didn’t have one. Sorry Scott no offence meant but you can be rather bitter and twisted at times.

So, my BIL and I are bonding. Who knew? We chat about the life, universe, everything and nothing and laugh a lot mostly at ourselves. He is self deprecating, funny, interesting and a very talented writer (go read his BLOG <- yet another shameless plug!) Also, he plugs my blog a lot so this is really a ‘he made me do it’ sort of post. Only joking Scott, I am proud to call you my BIL and friend!

6 comments:

  1. Who are you writing about? Can't be me?Crying now, weeping.
    You'll definitely get a glass of wine for this.
    Yay! SIL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha - Yay I win. Yay - wine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brothers are overrrated. Brothers-in-law are worth their weight in gold -- especially when they are handy with tools and fix stuff for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats awesome! Whilst my BIL has us all hosing ourselves till I need my asthma inhaler- I don't LIKE him much...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great thing. Relationship building.

    Glad the kids are eating their greens.

    ReplyDelete